White Knight Chronicles (白騎士物語 -古の鼓動-, Shirokishi Monogatari: Inishie no Kodō, lit. "White Knight Story: Ancient Heartbeat") is a fantasy role-playing game developed by Level-5 and Japan Studio and published by Sony Computer Entertainment for Playstation 3. It was released December 25, 2008 in Japan, February 2, 2010 in the USA and February 26, 2010 in the PAL region.
The game uses an active-time-battle (ATB) system. Some features include choosing combos, abilities and equipment.
The story begins in Balondor, where the princess is having a ceremony promoting her 18th birthday. She hasn't spoken for 10 years, since her mother died by the hand of an black knight. The game's protagonist, Leonard, and your own created character will have to deliver wine to the ceremony, or your boss will kill you. Yulie joins your party at Bharma. However, the party is ambushed by a "little" troll, which is easily beaten. The wine gets delivered, although a bit late. Soon after, a large monster attacked the town, and in the ensuing chaos, the black knight kills the king. The princess is heartbroken and also almost falls victim to the black knight. However, Leonard saves the princess, and they begin their escape.
- Avatar - a person who starts work at Rapacci Vines in Balandor with Leonard. S/he is new to Balandor.
- Leonard - a young man who work at Rapacci Vines.
- Yulie - friend of Leonard who was raised in Parma.
- Eldore - a traveller.
- Kara - a mysterious young woman from Albana.
- Caesar - a happy young man who is the heir to the throne of The Free City of Greede.
- General Dragias, the General of the Magi.
- Belcitane, Dragias' right hand.
- Grazel, Leader of the Magi.
- White Knight Chronicles™ at PlayStation.Com
- There are several references to Final Fantasy series:
- Some spells are named after recurring statuses: Silence, Sleep, Haste, etc.
- The Lion Heart and Orichalcum Dagger are likewise a mid-to-high-level sword and dagger in both franchises.
- The Dark Cloud longsword is a clear reference to the Dark Cloud franchise, also created by Level-5.